In this essay, I am going to talk about the death of Uncle Tom in Uncle Tom’s Cabin. I am going to explain the way it made me feel as a reader and the obvious similarities in Uncle Tom as to Christ .
To be truthful, I did not feel sad while reading this part of the book as some other readers might feel. Besides Tom not being real (usually you don’t grieve over the death of a fictional character) I was actually happy for him. Not because I am cruel but because he knew he was going to Heaven. Also, he did not want someone to take revenge on Simon Legree, the man that dealt him the blow that would several days later lead to Tom ’s death. He instead wanted to get Simon to repent to the Lord for his sin so that he may also go to Heaven. The next paragraph is an excerpt from the final paragraphs that Tom is alive in the book. By reading the following paragraph you should understand why I say he is like Jesus .
“ ‘Don’t call me poor fellow!’ said Tom , solemnly. ‘I have been poor fellow; but that all past and gone, now. I’m right in the door, going into glory! Oh, Mas’r George ! Heaven has come! I got the victory!- the Lord Jesus has given it to me! Glory be to his name!’……” (pg. 510).
No comments:
Post a Comment